COVID-19 Pastoral Handbook
'Connection with others is at the heart of our faith, which is what makes this particular time of isolation all the more difficult for us. How are we to not only stay connected now, but build and grow those connections and develop new ones?'
This handbook contains prayers, reflections, messages, support and resources for the people of the archdiocese. Copies are available in parishes. Feel free to download the pdf below.
Also below is the full and comprehensive list of online resources referred to in the handbook.
- Pandemic Parenting with Teens and Young Adults
- Naming Loss and Gratitude with Teens
- Managing Cooped-Up Teens
- Talking Points for Parents Talking with Children about Delayed First Communion
- Video "Waiting for First Communion" to help children discuss postponed First Communion
- “Helping Kids Cope with the coronavirus outbreak” by Dr Joseph White – TeachingCatholicKids.com
- Faithfully Navigating Coronavirus with Your Kids – English
- 10 Tips for Teaching Religion Lessons to Your Children at Home – Joe Paprocki
- Coronavirus Response Lesson for relieving anxiety with children– Loyola Press
- Seven ways to manage ‘COVID Stress Syndrome’ by Greg Popcak - OSV
- Family and Parish-Based Catechesis Office – Children's Ministry newsletters.
- The Catholic Kid – pictures to print and colour.
- Loyola Press – for kids, teens and families
- Catholic Mom – Sunday Mass sheets and activities
- Pflaum Faith Formation – Sunday resources for families and children.
Bible Study resources for home use
St Paul Center for Biblical Theology
- Free Sunday Reflections
- Free Bible Study on the Eucharist in Scripture
- The Quarantined Catholic Hub – free resources for study and reflection
- Various Bible Study programs on Gospels, Books and Letters in the Scriptures and also biblical themes such as the Covenant, the Mass, Mary etc.
Formed.org – a paid subscription streaming service (described as Catholic Netflix). It has Catholic themed movies, catechetical programs, access to live-streamed Masses and prayer.
Understanding the Scriptures – 30 part podcast serving as an introduction to Scripture study.
The Great Adventure – online Scripture studies of individual books, letters and Gospels.
The Bible Project – free online resource for learning about the bible, it's a resource both for parts of the bible and themes within the bible.
- Give us this Day – Daily Prayer resources, Mass readings and reflections, free subscription during Covid-19
- Magnificat – free subscription to the online edition of the Magnificat Magazine offering readings, prayers and reflections each day.
- Living With Christ – Daily readings and reflections – free during COVID-19.
- Loyola Press – Sunday Connection – readings and reflection for each Sunday.
- Catholic Women Preach – weekly Gospel reflections
- Homilies to enhance your Sunday celebration at home
Family and Parish Based Catechesis Office – During this time resulting from the COVID-19 when Sunday Masses are not occurring, you are invited to gather as a family for communal prayer each Sunday based on the Liturgy of the Word for that day. Let us reflect personally and as a community on the Word of God so that it may echo within our heart and bear fruit in our lives
Teaching Catholic Kids – Resources for families praying at home
Apps for Prayer
Sharing these with friends and family, and maybe connect on a video chat or over the phone to do engage in prayer, study and discussion together.
- PRAY AS YOU GO (DAILY PRAYER AND RETREATS)
- 3 MINUTE RETREAT
- GIVE US THIS DAY (DAILY PRAYER, REFLECTIONS AND MASS READINGS)
- EXAMEN (PRAYER)
- UNIVERSALIS - LITURGY OF THE HOURS AND MASS READINGS (PAID)
- HALLOW - GUIDED PRAYER
- COMMON PRAYER FOR ORDINARY RADICALS (Ecumenical)
Podcasts (on Spotify)
*“Search for these programs wherever you listen to podcasts (i.e. Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Soundcloud, etc.)
- Arch D Radio (Spotify link):
- Catholic Influencers Podcast (Spotify link):
- Jesuitical (Spotify link):
- Centacare (Soundcloud Link)
- Parishes of Adelaide Podcast (Link)
- Corona of Thorns Podcast
Liturgy of the Word, homily and Spiritual Communion produced each day. Produced by the Brooklyn Park/Richmond Catholic Parish. Available through Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Breaker
Websites and Videos for Prayer and Discussion
- Daily Prayer (Australian Jesuits)
- Contemplative Practices in time of coronavirus (Relevant Magazine)
- Give us This Day (Daily Prayer from LitPress)
Dynamic Catholic – Free email subscription to daily reflections
Daily Lectio Divina
- Loyola Press - Creighton University Online Retreat – Ignatian Retreat in Everyday Life
- Holy Land Virtual Pilgrimage - America Media
- Vatican Museum Virtual Tours
- Service Ideas from Home (Diocese of Green Bay)
- Creating Sacred Space at Home – Stained Glass Windows