23 Jun 2017
Media Release | Catholic Education South Australia | June 23 2017
Catholic Education SA says that the new Gonski 2.0 legislation rushed through Parliament earlier this morning fails to deliver fair, needs-based funding for students.
“We continue to believe this legislation was developed hastily and adopted without sufficient scrutiny,” says Bruno Vieceli, Interim Director, Catholic Education South Australia.
“Quite simply – despite all the rhetoric – I’m not convinced the needs of all students in South Australia and in particular those in Catholic schools are being met out of this deal.
“While Minister Birmingham says that Catholic schools will gain $110 million over the full term of the legislation, the reality is that this barely covers the increased cost of running schools over that period when you factor in inflation and wage increases.
“Using the government’s own funding estimation tool, Catholic schools in SA will get a reduction of approximately $230 million in Commonwealth funding than would otherwise have been received if we kept the current funding methodology over the full 10 years.
“Clearly such a shortfall will have significant implications for children and young people in our schools.
“We are pleased that there will be a review of the SES. We’ve been calling for this. It is long overdue and must be conducted with thoroughness and transparency.
“Our hope is that this will highlight some of the deficiencies in the funding model and, if these can be addressed to ensure true needs-based funding, this will be a good outcome for all students.
“We appreciate that the government has offered Catholic schools in SA an additional $2.5 million in 2018 as we transition to the new model. This represents an increase of 0.66% in Commonwealth funding. While this additional funding will go towards assisting schools to meet the needs of students in 2018, we continue to have concerns over how schools will meet the needs of students over the full term of the legislation.
“We are also concerned that the introduction of the NCCD as a measure of funding for students with disability is premature and lacks the confidence of educators and families of students with disability.
“We simply don’t know enough about how the National School Resourcing Body will operate to comment on whether it will be effective.
“A better approach to developing education policy would have involved and relied heavily upon the views of educational leaders from all sectors.
“Quite simply, SA students in all education sectors deserve better.
“We will continue to take every opportunity work with the government to ensure the best possible outcomes for all.”
Media contact: Jenny Brinkworth 0438 727 677