16 Jun 2020

Controlled return to Sunday worship

AB O'Regan.jpg

Media Release  |  Tuesday June 16 2020

Controlled return to Sunday worship

Adelaide’s Catholic community has welcomed the State Government’s decision to further ease restrictions on indoor gatherings to enable up to 75 people to attend Sunday Mass from this weekend (June 20 and 21).

Premier Steven Marshall announced last week that that the limit on indoor spaces would be lifted from 20 to 75 as of Friday June 19. This number also applies to funerals and weddings.

From June 29, under stage three of the lifting of restrictions, the four square metre rule will apply with no cap on numbers.

“People of faith will be pleased to learn that there will soon be increased opportunity for them to worship in churches, under a strict hygiene regime put in place to ensure their safety,” Adelaide Archbishop Patrick O’Regan said today.

“For the Catholic community, the deprivation of the Eucharist and attending Mass has been a great sacrifice. To be able to open our churches, particularly on Sundays, to more people in a controlled way will bring much joy and relief.

“However we also acknowledge the importance of stopping the spread of the virus by limiting numbers and advising people who are unwell or at risk to stay home. We remind people that the dispensation from attending Sunday Mass continues.”

While small weekday Masses (up to 20) resumed in many parishes from June 5, the latest directive will enable more parishes to safely resume Sunday Mass services.

“We are grateful for the patience and goodwill of our people during these challenging times,” Archbishop O’Regan said.

 MR-Stage 2.5 and three restrictions churches[1].pdf

< back