16 Jun 2021
Plenary Council agenda calls for missionary Christ-centred Church
Media Release | June 16 2021
The agenda of the Fifth Plenary Council of Australia calls those attending the Council assemblies to “develop concrete proposals to create a more missionary, Christ-centred Church in Australia”.
The Council agenda, which has emerged from three years and several layers of prayer, listening, dialogue and discernment, will shape the program of the Council’s assemblies – the first of which opens on October 3 this year.
The agenda’s preamble draws from Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation Evangelii Gaudium, which explores the Pope’s “dream of a ‘missionary option’”.
31 Jan 2021
First Plenary Council Assembly mixes in-person, online format
Media Release | December 2 2020
The first assembly of the Plenary Council will take place with a combination of online and face-to-face participation as uncertainty remains over restrictions on travel and gatherings.
The decision to hold the October 2021 assembly in a “multi-modal” format was reached last week based on feedback from a number of groups, including the steering committee for the Council assemblies, the Plenary Council’s facilitation team and risk assessors.
18 Jan 2021
Adelaide to host Plenary Council in October 2021
Adelaide has been selected as the venue for the first of two historic national gatherings to consider the future of the Catholic Church in Australia. Adelaide will host the opening assembly of the historic Plenary Council from October 3-10 2021 with the second assembly to be held in Sydney from July 4-9 2022.
06 Jan 2021
Discernment for schools
A Plenary Council is the highest formal gathering of all local churches and is an opportunity for bishops and other representatives of dioceses and eparchies to discern what God is asking of us in Australia at this time. It has the authority to make Church laws based on the results of this.
05 Jan 2021
What have we accomplished together so far?
04 Jan 2021
Plenary Council Journey in 2019
- March 6 – Ash Wednesday marks the close of the Listening and Dialogue stage.
- April / May – National Centre for Pastoral Research collates and analyses all responses. A draft preliminary National Report is developed, with emergent themes for the Plenary Council identified.
- June – Pentecost marks the launch of the next stage of preparation - Listening and Discernment - with the themes for national discernment announced.
- July – First meeting of Working Groups and local small group discernment to begin.
- September – Nominations open for the lay delegates of the Plenary Council 2020.
- October – National Centre for Pastoral Research will publish Diocesan qualitative reports.
- April 2020 – At Easter, draft Plenary Council papers discerned by the Working Group become available for download and discussion.
- October 4-11 2020 – The first session of the Plenary Council 2020 will be held in Adelaide on October 4 - 11, 2020.
- May 2021 – The second session of the Plenary Council will be held in Sydney.
03 Jan 2021
Plenary Council Facilitators
02 Jan 2021
Looking Back at the Listening and Dialogue Phase
01 Jan 2021
Your Voice creates the Plenary Council 2020 Agenda
Adelaide will host the opening session of the historic Plenary Council in October 2020 with a follow-up session in an eastern state in early 2021. Now is the time for Catholics like you to help shape the process by taking part in a Listening and Dialogue session.