Documents relating to:
- The administration of the Archdiocese since its inception
- Parishes (general information only)
- Lay Associations (general information only)
- Religious Orders (general information only)
- Microfiche and digital copies of various church registers; baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations with many gaps across all registers (closure periods apply)
- Catholic newspapers, including The Southern Cross (1889 - current); The Witness (1957 – current), and L'Osservatore Romano, (1968 - current)
- Photographic collection of persons, places and events
- The Official Directory of the Catholic Church in Australia, 1841 - current (with some gaps)
Accessing the Archives
The archive has a responsibility to prioritise management of the records of the Archdiocese in accordance with best practice, and as a private collection in ways that directly support the work of the Archbishop.
Use of the Archives is by appointment only and there is charge for research visits and other services (refer to Policies and Forms)
Opening days and times: Monday to Friday, excluding Wednesdays; 10am - 3.30pm
To enquire about available services and resources email Archives and Records Services at email@example.com or alternatively telephone 8210 8115.
Conditions of Use
Bona fide students and other researchers may be given access to the archives under the following conditions:
- That they apply in writing to the Archivist for permission to view the documents they require, using the form “Application for Access to the Archives”, (please refer to our Policies and Forms webpage). They must state clearly the nature and purpose of their research and must abide by the decision given.
- That they abide by the rules relating to conduct in the search room, as stated in the document “Rules for the Use of the Adelaide Archdiocesan Archives,” (please refer to our Policies and Forms webpage) and co-operate with the archivist at all times
Family History Research Policy
Our policy is to direct family historians to other agencies when the same records are available for public use elsewhere.
Family historians are not required to complete the form 'Application for Access to the Archives'.
Email Archives and Records Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about relevant holdings.